Monday, January 30, 2006

T-Town Throwdown Review

After my initial disappointment about our results this weekend, I came realize that it was actually a pretty good first weekend for Bliss (with the exception of Jaime, sorry buddy, that is a serious bummer). It was a good example of what kind of shape we need to be in, without actually killing us. Saturday was pretty indicative of how many points we're going to be playing. Sunday was not, obviously. There is lots to talk about this weekend, so I'm going to get to it...

The Bad Things:
Jaime's knee - first point of the first game at the first tournament.

Wind Throws - we all need to be throwing as much as possible. Yes, I'm including myself. We also need to work on catching in the wind.

Zone O - We haven't discussed zone O yet so I'm not too worried. Mostly we just need to get on the same page. I thought our zone O in the second half vs Mississippi was getting a lot better. Once everyone knows what to do we're going to kill teams that try to play zone against us.

Getting Broken - In man D we got broken way too much. Especially for the amount of wind there was.

Sunday Morning Hangover - We absolutely played hungover Sunday morning. Look at Red, who didn't drink, and played amazing. I know there was a Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Contest at the party and all, but if we expect to really compete on Sundays, we're going to have to take it a little easier at the party.

Good Things:

Rookies - I thought all the rookies played really well. You guys obviously haven't had the chance to learn zone O or D yet, but that's not a problem, we'll get to that stuff soon enough. Overall I think we've got a lot of potential in our rookies and I think they'll be solid contributors this season.

Man D - Overall I thought we were playing pretty good man defense. We got beaten back to the disc too often, and got broken too often, but we poached a lot less (and most of our poaching was really just due to being tired, keep running those intervals). We were helped by the wind, but I'm hopeful that our man defense can really be a strength for us.

Comeback - We fought hard in the second half of Sunday's game. Down 8-2 at half, no one gave up and we fought back into that game. We gave Mississippi a scare, and I do believe that if we hadn't gotten capped, we could have won.

Pair Offense - We're definitely learning the offense, finding out who works well together, etc. We had problems occasionally with the secondaries not cutting, but overall I think the O is improving. We set up the trap dumps pretty well. We (me included) need to do a better job of hitting whoever is open, instead of looking for the difficult but high reward pass.

Overall, 3-3 at our first real tournament is a reasonable result. If our rookies keep progressing like they are, and we continue to build offensive chemistry, we're going to do fine. Once we learn zone O and zone D, we're going to be a lot better. Zone D has always been a strength of Pure Bliss in my opinion. If our man D keeps getting better and we can add a stout zone D, we'll be in good shape.

Keep pushing yourselves, keep coming to practice. We've got a long way to go, but I'm excited to see how good we are come Sectionals.

PFB

1 Comments:

Blogger fox said...

One thing that I would like to say is lets get crazy guys. When the disk is in the air it is our disk. Nobody has a right to touch my disk. People need to hate playing us because we just have crazy D. I am personally disappointed because I did not have any lay out D's this weekend. I know I want to make it a natural part of my game, so much that its no big deal to lay out and get the D. EDGe. G get the D and get craz -e

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home